Friday, October 8, 2010

Honeybee 2 Part 5


This is only my third oil painting. For the past six years I have painted exclusively in watercolor. I love oil because when you use white paint as I had to do to change the highlights on the bee's legs, it didn't ruin the painting! I am still approaching the painting process as I would a watercolor and leaving the white areas as blank canvas. This seems to be working well.  

To finish the painting, I covered the blue areas with cadmium red. I added alizarin crimson (dark blue red) to the petals in the back and front and the crevices between the petals. I worked very slowly on the bee to get it to stand out. I decided to change the highlights on the legs to the outer edge to get the bee to stand out from the flower. I also added white around the body shapes for the same reason.




No comments:

Post a Comment