Friday, October 15, 2010

Where Do Ideas Come From?

When my husband was in college (back in the days of albums), he and his roommate had a "No flips rule." They took turns picking albums but no flips were allowed in a day. This was so they wouldn't get tired of their music collection. Well, I have violated the "No flips rule" with the color red! Time to move on.

I had a vague idea that I wanted to create an angular composition because I have been working with circular composition which I'll explain in detail at a later date. 

I decided to use Van Gogh's Blossoming Almond Branch in a Glass for inspiration because I LOVE  it. Google it to see what I'm talking about.  It has an angular composition. It has a generous amount of white paint and I want to overcome my fear of white paint. Of course,  I'll change the red line.

Will it generate a series? It did for Vincent. He painted twelve paintings from this idea. I have an advantage; I already painted four paintings of fruit blossoms before I studied composition that I want to recycle. I'll try for four still life paintings with angular composition using fruit blossoms.

Vincent Van Gogh copied the masters often. I think he would be proud that he has taught me so much. Now that I have generated a good idea for Monday, I'll take the weekend off.

No comments:

Post a Comment