Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Honeybee Part 7

In the final wash, I blended the front edges of the flower white, cadmium yellow, and cadmium red. I added some alizarin crimson at the bottom of the petal to make it curve. Next, I cleaned up the top edges of the petals by running alizarin crimson next to the white on the inside of the petal and then blended this in the direction the petals in the back are flowing. 

To darken the edges of the petals in the back of the flower, I added cadmium yellow. This is darker than the yellow/ white edges in the front so it appears farther away without adding black which would dull my flower.

I added small amount of viridian (green) and ultramarine blue to white and filled in my piece of sky for an exit. 
How do I know when a painting is finished? 
When I started this painting I started with a SUBJECT - honeybee. Next, I needed and IDEA- the movement of the bees. I designed a  CONCEPT ( a shape into which I can arrange my subject(bees) so that they looked like they were in the middle of bee activity. The curvilinear lines suggest graceful movement. 
When I've met these objectives. I know the painting is complete.


No comments:

Post a Comment